Friday, June 5, 2009

Number 10

Greetings from Mito!

Boy it seems like a long time since I have been able to sit down long enough to write and not be on a train!

After the girls and my trip to Tsuwano, I developed an earache. I thought it was because of the pressure changes going to the mountains, but it just got worse and eventually, my ear began secreting fluid. Friday, I went to the hospital and they gave me some pain meds and antibiotic. They said I had perungal (sp?) otis media and I needed to see an ENT the next day.

Friday night I was able to read a little about the type of infection with my Mayo Family Clinic CD that I brought with us. I learned it was not something to play with and could be very serious and so in spite of packing and movers coming on Saturday I went to the doctor. It turned out that Myota, our neighbor works for an ENT and so she took me there. He confirmed the diagnosis and extended the antibiotics and pain meds and told me to see another ENT when I got to Mito. I haven't made it to a doctor here yet, because things have been so hectic, but I will do so at latest by Monday. My ear is feeling better, but my hearing still does not seem to be normal.

Saturday with my earache, I had hoped to check into our hotel early and sleep while Dana and the girls went back up to Tsuwano, but of course, our room was not ready, so I ended up going with them. It was nice. We did get to see the chapel on the hill. It was quite a walk up the hill, but very pretty. We made it a shorter bike ride, but it was great to be able to share it with Dana.

To wrap things up in Yamaguchi, after Dana finished work on Sunday, we went out to dinner with our friends. We went to the same restaurant, but for a different entree. This time I think we had sukiyaki. I wasn't too sure about the idea of dipping wonderfully cooked meat and vegetables in raw egg, but it turned out pretty good. We had such a nice time with them and they are beginning to make travel arrangements to meet us in Tokyo just before Christmas. I am really looking forward to it.

Myota and Muraoka also gave Dana and I a beautiful set of teacups. Peach, their dog, liked to remove the girls socks when they were playing at their house, so she got each of the girls a pair of socks. We all had a good laugh. We also have copies of the pictures that were taken last time.

Monday morning we were off on the train for Hiroshima. We stayed there two nights. Hiroshima was one of those places that is nice to see once, but I don't think I would put it on a future travel plans. We were able to take the streetcar around and see most of the sites. The girls had fun at the children’s museum.

One thing that I did learn in Hiroshima is that a futon beats a tiny hotel bed anytime and so I give the the following reasons why a futon is better than a bed:
1) When you roll off, the ground isn't to far.
2) You can stack as many as you like to achieve the desired softness.
3) They fold up easily in closets.
4) When the person you are sleeping with rolls over, it doesn't shake the bed.
5) I can jump into my side of the bed and not plunge Dana out the other side!
6) Children can hide socks and clothes underneath them, but toys make it too uncomfortable.
After 5 nights, I will be happy to have my futon back!


Wednesday, we traveled from Hiroshima to Tokyo where we had hoped to enjoy a park as a break from traveling, but it was raining so we decided to head up to Mito early. Due to miscommunication between Dana and I we took the slow train, but it was a nice ride and we were able to see the countryside better.

Thursday morning, we got our first look inside our new home. We are on the ground floor of a 4-story apartment building. In Japan, they call them mansions, but that is not the term I would use.

The apartment is nice. I think the only thing that will be a real challenge is the kitchen. The only counter space is the area to drain dishes. There are some cupboards up high, but they are even difficult for me to reach. The saving part is that there is a large closet in the hall really close that I can use as a pantry if I can devise some sort of shelves for it. I still haven't figured out where I am going to put the toaster oven and microwave and I need to purchase a stove- we would probably call it a fancy hotplate, but it is a stove nonetheless.

We have two 6 mat Japanese bedrooms that have a sliding door between them and sliding doors into the living room, dining room and kitchen, which is all one room. There is also a western style bedroom in the front that I think we will use as a den and a dressing area. Outside the Japanese rooms, there are hardwood floors. We have a bathroom similar to the one in Yamaguchi, but a little smaller and we were all happy to see that there is a western toilet (complete with sink on the top).

Overall, I am pleased with the apartment. It is taking a little more work to settle in because we have the stuff from the other place. We also still don't have any dressers so there are clothes everyplace.

We rented some furniture that was delivered today and I have a dryer being delivered tomorrow. I think that is good because I have lots of laundry from our travels and since we have arrived. The rental place was really nice. They only had a small refrigerator and I said that would be okay. I had been hoping for something larger, but I could make due. Today, one of our interpreters called me to let me know that they were bringing our furniture and that they were giving us a larger refrigerator at no extra charge. When the guy showed up, he had a brand new refrigerator! It was just what I had seen in the store and had thought would be great, but never thought I would get it. It is one that the refrigerator door will open either way you want. The freezer is a drawer in the middle and below that is a drawer for vegetables. Any larger, would not have fit in the space.

In Yamaguchi, I got overwhelmed with all the decisions, but there seems to be even more to make here. I am hoping to get through them this weekend and be able to get back to our school schedule.

I think I will save my thoughts on Mito for another time. My mind is wandering too much to put it on paper. I still haven't got our address written out correctly, but

I will do so this weekend.

Blessings and prayers,
Marion

No comments:

Post a Comment