Friday, June 5, 2009

Number 4

Dear Friends,

I am so glad to be able to have this time to sit down and share with you a little of what our life is like here in Japan. We have been very busy here, just at a slower pace.

On Sunday, after mass at St. Frances Church, we went to Akiyoshido. It is home to the largest limestone caves in all of Japan. They are simply magnificent! We walked about a kilometer through the caves and then took an elevator to the top, wandered around a bit, had an ice cream (Charlie had two because someone gave her one!) and then took a taxi back to where we started.

Before you get to where you enter the caves, there is a walkway at least as long as the walk through the caves that is lined with shops. There were even some older Japanese ladies selling parking places to cars as they drove by. Dana tells me that this is normal here.

I don't even know how to begin to describe the cave... First, the temperature is 67 degrees, so it was refreshing. The moisture from the water that runs through feels at times as though it is raining inside, but it is great. There are many different formations with the major ones named. Of course, there is Mt. Fuji and then there is the King's pillar, pumpkin rock and many more. We bought a nice set of postcards rather than try to take our own pictures with so many people. I can't wait to show them to you.

Let me share with you a feature of Japanese homes that I am falling in love with...the "bath"room (not to be confused with the room where the toilet is)! From what I have seen ours is pretty typical of most homes here. First you walk in to an area with a sink and vanity, the wash machine (dryer if you use one) and room for the laundry baskets to sort into. From there, there is another smaller room that has a raised tile floor with a drain, a bathtub, and a small seat in front one of those hand held showerheads.

Okay, so why am I falling in love? Humor me! The way this is used is that you shower while seated on the stool to remove the dirt, and then you can get in the tub to relax. The tub water is used by the whole family rather like a Jacuzzi. The tub is much deeper than most American ones, but, the best part of this is the drain in the floor. Usually when the children take a bath in the states, the bathroom also gets a bath and has to be dried to prevent floor damage, but this one is designed to get wet and drain. Mothers of many children will appreciate this. It is even feasible for you to get in there while dressed in shorts and help shower the little ones, regardless of whether you use the bath and not get soaking wet. They can dry off in there before they ever leave that room. The other thing I like about the “bath” room is because is separate from the toilet and creates less congestion. If I were building my dream home, some version of this would definitely be included.

Okay, let's see what else is up? Catherine has developed a rash on her face and neck and Christina even had it on her chest, but it went away quickly. I managed to find a pharmacist that spoke some English and he seems to think it is eczema from a reaction to a different environment. He gave me a cream to put on it and Christina's was gone by bedtime. Catherine's has lessened, but still comes back. They haven't had any other symptoms, so I am not too concerned, but if it doesn't improve in a few days, I will try to find a doctor to examine them.

Yesterday, the girls and I went to a famous garden at a temple here in Yamaguchi. It was very beautiful. It looked very different from each location that you viewed it. We were able to sit in the temple, look out and enjoy the beauty. Okay, I enjoyed the beauty. Catherine and Christina went for a walk and Charlene squirmed! ;+)

This morning I woke to the sound of rainfall and realized I had left clothes on the line overnight. I managed to get them in before I had to wash them again, but I guess overnight drying is not a good idea. We decided to go out for breakfast when the rain let up. When we went into the restaurant it was not raining so we left our umbrellas in the car. After all, we were only parked 30 feet from the door. Well, of course it let go and poured and poured! I ran out to the car and brought it as close as I could to the door. Everyone got a little wet getting in and I got soaked. Typhoon number 18 is upon Japan! Since then, it has let up and I managed to get my errands done and stay dry. In theory, this is supposed to continue for 3 days, but I have learned that weather in Japan is much like the weather in Denver, they can't predict it very well.

The crew of guys from the states that Dana has been working with is coming to dinner tonight. The request was made that I make as American a meal as I can; they are more than a little tired of Japanese food. Getting American type food here is a little difficult but I got potatoes, corn on the cob, a roast (not sure if it is lamb, beef or what), coca-cola and donuts for dessert. I hope they enjoy it and can relax. They have all been working such long hours.

I guess that is about it for now. We are planning on driving to Nagasaki this weekend if the weather is okay so I will probably write after that.

Blessings and prayers,
Marion

No comments:

Post a Comment