Friday, June 5, 2009

Number 15

Sunday morning we went to Hitachi Seaside Park. I think I described this a little in a previous Chronicle. We wanted to take Dana back and show him what we had enjoyed.

When we came in we got on the train around the park. We got off near the Ferris wheel. This Ferris wheel is the largest I have ever seen. We took the video camera up with us and we could see for quite a distance. The girls went on some other rides and then we rented bikes to ride around the park. Bike paths with great scenery circle the park. If I understood the signs correctly, I think we rode a 7-kilometer path around the park. Afterwards, we went on the roller coaster, got some lunch and headed home.

We went to an English mass at our local church here in Mito. The pastor is from New York. He is a very kind man. Most of the people at the English mass are actually from the Philippines, but we did meet a couple from New Mexico who are moving back, but they have been here for 2 and ½ years. The also have a 4 year old daughter. I learned about a place where we can take Japanese lessons for a minimal cost. I think we are going to enjoy it as part of this community.

Tuesday, the girls and I set out on train this time for Tokyo. I needed to get some English software for my computer and I wanted to look at digital cameras. There is a large electronics shopping district in Tokyo, that has duty free and some good deals. It is the same place I bought my laptop computer. We were successful in our shopping and soon, I should be able to get our web site up with some pictures of our travels. The train worked out very nicely, it was only a little challenge to carry our purchases.

Wednesday we went to our first Japanese lesson. There should be no more riding all the escalators up searching for what we want because we can’t read the sign or ask someone where to find an item. We practiced asking how to find something whether in a department store or around the town. I now know how to ask the question, I just need to learn more of the words for what I am asking to find. There are several Japanese classes, but I think we will go on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I have, to this point, neglected to mention the major dilemma of preparing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We do not have an oven! I consulted some of my experts and considered buying a BBQ, but I couldn’t seem to justify that because after the toll roads to and through Tokyo I figure the turkey had already cost about $120. Father offered to let me use the oven at the church, but it was small and I don’t know if I could fit the turkey in it even if I cut it up. I decided to cut it up in pieces as large as I could and cook it in my shabu shabu cooker. That is where it is now! I sure hope this turns out and that if finishes cooking today!

Dana will probably be working all this weekend, so I think we will spend a little extra time on our schoolwork. Also on Sunday, our Advent project of making 1000 paper cranes begins. I have the names of who I send email to, but I don’t have the names of spouses or children, so if you would be so kind as to send them to me, we will make cranes with your names as well as any other names you would like to send us. My goal is to have one name for each of the 1000 cranes!

Next weekend, we are going to Guam for a few days vacation, so I am not sure when my next chronicle will get written, but perhaps I will be able to do so before we leave. I think we leave on Friday and return on Monday.

Well, that’s all for now. It is a beautiful day, so I think I will go play with my new camera if this turkey ever gets done! Happy Thanksgiving!
Blessings and prayers,
Marion

No comments:

Post a Comment